[Computer-go] Board Sizes

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 06:07:27 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Aja Huang <ajahuang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/1/7 Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com>
>>> I have a question concerning a related question,  mirror go.    On an
>>> even board the second player can presumably just mirror the opponent and
>>> never lose but I am not sure I buy that.   I am a very weak player myself
>>> but is it true that cannot force your opponent into a bad move if he mirrors
>>> you?     And if mirror go is a valid way to stay even couldn't a pro just
>>> sacrifice something in the center to break the symmetry?
>>

>> No, that's not true. See http://senseis.xmp.net/?CounteringMirrorGo
>> To break the symmetry, pros usually create two "collided" ladders.
>

> I'm talking about even boards,  not odd boards.     I know that odd boards
> cannot be mirrored indefinitely.

Also on even boards the symmetry breaks once you capture something in
the center. That's why the mirroring player at some point has to
abandon the strategy. Just try it on 6x6: B[c3],W[d4],B[c4],W[d3],
(this is optimal), then just encircle the adjacent block (play all
liberties), Black captures first so the symmetry will be broken (White
will at some point play something else that eventually results in 2 to
4 points less).

E.