[Computer-go] Board Sizes

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 06:02:56 PST 2013

Hi!

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/1/7 Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com>
>>
>>> I have a question concerning a related question,  mirror go.    On an
>>> even board the second player can presumably just mirror the opponent and
>>> never lose but I am not sure I buy that.   I am a very weak player myself
>>> but is it true that cannot force your opponent into a bad move if he
>>> mirrors you?     And if mirror go is a valid way to stay even couldn't a
>>> pro just sacrifice something in the center to break the symmetry?
>>
>> I'm talking about even boards,  not odd boards.     I know that odd
>> boards cannot be mirrored indefinitely.

It's easy to come up with a way to force breaking the symmetry: play the
center as a cross-cut and black then gives atari: if white gives atari too,
black captures and white cannot do likewise because of the missing captured
stone. So white is forced to protect the atari and symmetry is broken.
Black can then get a better position in the center in sente.

regards,
Vlad