[Computer-go] Supporting Japanese rules

Willemien wilemien at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 01:13:08 PST 2013

I would start with implementing the Ikeda Area rules III (
http://gobase.org/studying/rules/ikeda/?sec=e_rules and more precise
http://gobase.org/studying/rules/ikeda/?sec=e4010000 and following )
they approach to the complete Japanese rules (where Robert Jasiek is
an expert) but i do think they are easier to implement in a program.
(just area score but check for the first pass, the rules  make the
first pass valuable, so you do need to implement a routine that passes
can be valued and investigated.

the only change i would make to them is where Ikeda has:

Rule 7 	Rule of scoring: A player's score is the number of that
player's played stones plus the number of grid points in that player's
territory. If the first pass was made by White, however, then 1/2
point is subtracted from Black's score and added to White's score. The
winner is determined by comparing the players' scores.

i would use

 If the first pass was made by White, however, then 1point is
subtracted from Black's score(or 1 point is added to white's score.
The winner is determined by comparing the players' scores.

I am not sure how far these rules differ from the japanese rules,
(Robert did once compare the japanese rules with the Ikeda Territory
rules, but this is no territory rule, hope he will compare them
sometime)