[Computer-go] Scoring a go board.

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 13:02:36 PST 2013

On 08/02/2013 20:34, Rémi wrote:
> Hy,
>
> There are a lot of interesting papers on UCT and selection strategies
> ... But it's harder to find information about the more 'pragmatic' side
> of computer-go.
>
> How do you score a go board?

What do you mean by "score a go board"?  I can think of three reasonable
possibilities.

(1.) Count the score in a game that is over.

(2.) Count the score in a game that is not over, but both players have
passed because they think it is.

(3.) Count the score in a game that is still being played.

(1) is difficult but practicable. (2) is similar to (1), so long as you
are not bothered about the result being meaningful, but just want to
calculate the score as a referee might if asked to score a game in which
both players have passed prematurely. (3) is as difficult as playing Go
perfectly.

Nick