[Computer-go] parameter optimization (clop & others)

Brian Sheppard sheppardco at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 11:11:54 PST 2013

I use Clop for optimizing a lot of Pebbles parameters. But I can't qualify
performance in the way you describe, because I actually don't know what the
optimum is.

I can relate some observations from using it:

0) Many parameters are easier to optimize using other systems.  E.g., Remi
uses minorization/majorization to tune pattern values, and Erica's pattern
weights are tuned  via TD, and you would use ID3 for decision trees, etc. I
would use Clop only if there weren't a strong theoretical model for how
parameters ought to be set. I.e., the only way to measure "good" is by
competition.

1) It is very important to limit the number of parameters concurrently
optimized. E.g., to 4 or fewer. The optimum might be 3. I tend to optimize
parameters that are functionally related, and I rotate attention among such
groups in order to optimize the whole set (currently ~60 in the whole set
optimized by Clop). The factor that hurts performance at large numbers of
parameters: cross-product terms generate a lot of spurious theories about
the location of the optimum.

2) Optimizing multiple parameters would work a lot better if the number of
cross-product terms could be limited. E.g., start with a only an X + X^2
model, and slowly add cross-product terms prioritized by the correlation
between XY and residual error. At some point I will implement this, because
the off-diagonal coefficients of the model are almost all very close to
zero.

3) You have to work to create the "inverted bowl" shape that Clop works well
on. For instance, you have to use a lot of opponents, and a lot of starting
positions, and some self-play. If you don't do this then parameters that
differ by epsilon can have very different performance. It is OK to have a
noisy estimate, but not OK to have a function that is inherently
discontinuous or jagged.

4) You have to hope that optimization conducted at rapid speeds will be
relevant at slow speeds. Pebbles is tuning at about 2% of its full speed. I
have no idea whether this is a good choice.

5) An overnight run is fine for me. E.g., 3 parameters tuned per run means
that 60 parameters could be tweaked every 3 weeks. (I don't actually
optimize every night.)

Best,

Brian