[Computer-go] Anomalies in MCTS

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Mon Feb 4 01:51:11 PST 2013

Hello,

Wesley Turner and me are analysing "pure Monte Carlo" (without
tree search component) in (artificial) simple games.  Let MC(k) be
the version where each candidate move gets exactly k simulations. We
found examples where for instance MC(8) performs better than MC(16),
but for k to infinity pure Monte Carlo plays perfectly.

Question to the MCTS programmers (in Go): Do you have example
positions where MCTS makes good move proposals for short run times
and bad proposals for medium long run times? (Of course for time to
infinity it should converge to good moves.)

Cheers, Ingo.