[Computer-go] Awards to Four of us!

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Thu Aug 8 01:31:45 PDT 2013

Hello,
I just got the new volume of the ICGA Journal.
On p. 124, you can read who got the prices for the
best publications in 2011 and 2012.
Here are the most relevant paragraphs:

The aim of the Best-Publication Award nominators
(i.e., the members of the selection committee) is
to identify the author(s) whose work has made the
biggest contribution to computer games in the year
under investigation.

The selection committee for the years 2011 and 2012
consisted of Bruno Bouzy, Ivan Bratko, I-Chen Wu,
Shun-Chin Hsu, Paolo Ciancarini, Reijer Grimbergen,
Dap Hartmann, Jaap van den Herik, Ulf Lorenz, and
Jonathan Schaeffer. The secretary of the committee was
Prof.dr. A. Plaat.

The members of the committee agreed to award the 2011
Best-Publication Award to Sylvain Gelly and David Silver,
for their publication Monte-Carlo tree search and rapid
action value estimation in computer Go, which appeared
in Artificial Intelligence, Volume 175, Issue 11, July,
2011, Pages 1856-1875.

Here, it is noted that Best-Publication Award has to be
read as most outstanding contribution to the games community.
This can be a publication, but also an (open source) program
(e.g., Bob Hyatt’s program CRAFTY), or a service such as Ken
Thompson’s CDROMs and Eugene Nalimov’s tablebases.

Along these lines, the members of the committee agreed to award
the 2012 Best-Publication Award to Yoji Ojima and Hideki Kato
for the Go playing program ZEN that beat a 9 dan professional
player (Takemiya Masaki) in a 19x19 Go game with 4 stones of
handicap on March 17, 2012.

The ICGA intends to honour the 2011 and 2012 Best Publication
Award recipients at the 2013 ICGA events in Yokohama, Japan by
giving the first author a free admission to the Computers and
Games 13 Conference.

My congratulations to Sylvain Gelly, Albert Silver,
Yojo Ojima, and Hideki Kato!

My respect to the committee for their tolerance to accept
such different types of publications!

Ingo.