[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 10:45:24 PDT 2012

I tend to agree.

Nick, in my opinion, unless there are urgent reasons like delaying a fixed
schedule, the choice to resign should be made by the program. Any kibitzer
concluding that the position is hopeless is free to move on to watch
another game, and the program that is certain of its win does not have to
keep calculating; it can simply reduce it's load to the bare minimum (thus
reducing your feared contribution to global warming). Further, if you go
this path, where does it end? Will you stop weak programs from entering?

Maybe it would be more interesting to run a McMahon tournament instead, to
avoid such uninteresting games between totally unbalanced opponents?

Erik