[Computer-go] A cautionary tale about randomness, Part 2

Mark Boon tesujisoftware at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 21:27:53 PDT 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Dave Dyer <ddyer at real-me.net> wrote:

> You're right, Dvonn is quite amenable to incrementally maintaining
> the set of legal moves, and in view of the subtle hazards of trying
> to speed up generating a random move, the extra complexity of maintaining
> the set of legal moves might be competitive.

I'm not familiar enough with the game to say. If the ratio of legal moves vs. the 242 possible moves is very low on average, then you end up generating random numbers and checking move legality numerous times before you find one. If on the other hand the ratio is not too bad, then the method in my previous message may be faster than incrementally maintaining legal moves.

Mark