[Computer-go] Zen beat Ha, Yongil 5p with 4 stones (Re: TAAI details?)

Hideki Kato hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp
Sun Nov 25 14:31:01 PST 2012

Thank you Hiroshi.

The names of the players are swapped, sorry all.

The games were:
1) Ichiriki 2p (B) vs Zen,
2) Ohashi 5p (W) vs Zen,
3) So 8p (B) vs Zen,
4) Ichiriki 2p (W) vs Zen,
5) Ohashi 5p (B) vs Zen,
6) So 8p (W) vs Zen.

The time setting was: 20 min main time and 30 second for every move (no
extra byo-yomi).  Chinese rules and 7.0 komi were used.  Zen's hardware
was 4 pc cluster (12, 6, 6 and 6 cores) at 4 GHz, same as TAAI and
Zen19D/S on KGS.

Professinals used much longer time than Zen; more than 20 min in four
games of six while Zen used 10 or 15 min for all games.  Sometime they
thought more than 5 min (upto 10) for a move, move 11 of the first game
for example.  On the first game, Zen would play J4 (hane) next at move
16 (cut) but actually played G3 and went into "Sekito-shibori (two stone
edge squeeze)" course.  Either showed about 80% winrate but Ichiriki
2p said J4 could lead a safer win for W.  Actually Zen had sure chances
to win; hard luck.

Zen had chances to draw in some games in Black but selected much
risky (actually losing) moves.  I guess this caused by implementing
draws by adding a third value, 0.5, to UCB.  To play a draw
move, all better looking moves (by prior) have to be refused, or proved
worse than 0.5.  This could take pretty long time in some positions.
#Faking komi to 6.5 might help but a better solution possible?

Hideki

Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>