[Computer-go] Zen beat Ha, Yongil 5p with 4 stones (Re: TAAI details?)

Kahn Jonas jonas.kahn at math.u-psud.fr
Fri Nov 23 05:16:25 PST 2012

> Hideki Kato: <50ad8eb2.4264%hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>:
>> Also, there will be a professional (Ha, Yongil 5p in Kansai Ki-in; 4
>> handicap) vs Zen game at Nov 23rd (a holyday for workers) on KGS, as an
>> event at Neyagawa Shogi and Igo Festval.  I don't know the detailed
>> schedule but the reharsal will start at 1 PM JST (UTC+0900) on KGS.
>> http://www.igoshogineyagawa.org/ (in J)
>> Ha 5p: http://kansaikiin.jp/profile/cgi/profile.cgi?id=hayonniru (in
>> J)
>
> Zen won the event game against Ha, Yongil 5p by resignation.  Settings
> were: Japanese rules, 4 handicap stones, 0.5 pts komi, 30 seconds for a
> move with no main time (time was counted locally due to the lag by an
> agent for Ha pro).  The hardware for Zen was the same as for TAAI (a
> 4-pc cluster, all run at 4 GHz).  The link to the game record is
> http://files.gokgs.com/games/2012/11/23/ZensGuest-Zen19S-5.sgf .

I think Zen's play starts to look really impressive. It was hard to
detect the usual relative weaknesses of MCTS bots. Maybe Ha Yongil did
not put open enough simultaneous battlefields.
But the ruthless play in top left, when tsumego is not the current bots'
specialty, or its way of taking profit while harassing the invading
group, are good testimonies of the bots' evolution on the two latter
years I think.

Jonas