[Computer-go] TAAI details?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Nov 22 15:20:18 PST 2012

  Hi!

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:32:24AM +0900, Hideki Kato wrote:
> BTW, the official announce of "Denseisen" has been released.
> http://entcog.c.ooco.jp/entcog/densei/ (in J) and
> a pdf file for press.
> http://entcog.c.ooco.jp/entcog/densei/Release20121120.pdf (in J)
>
> Denseisen is the name of a serie of (handicap) games between
> professional players and computer players under the contract between
> Nihon Ki-in (Ichigaya, Tokyo) and UEC (The University of
> Electro-Communications, Chofu, Tokyo).  The contract is valid for five
> years.  Note that Denseisen is an "offical" serie.
>
> #For Denseisen.  The "den", "sei" and "sen" mean electric or electronic,
> saint and match, respectively.  Similar to well-known "Kiseisen", in
> which "Kisei" means a saint of Go (or Shogi) where "saint" suggests
> almost the God level.  Historically, there is a word "Kensei" where
> "ken" and "sei" mean sword and saint.  The title "Kensei" is used
> for the very excellent swordmen for long years in Japan and is still
> well known.  Hence, "Densei" is created as the title for very excellent
> computer Go players.
>
> The first match will be held on March 20th, 2013 (a Spring holiday) at
> UEC.  Two games are planned.  The professional player for both is Shuho
> Ishida 24th Hon'inbo (Yoshio Ishida 9p).  The computer players are
> the 1st and 2nd places of the Sixth UEC Cup, which will be held on
> March 16th and 17th, 2013.  Handicaps will be studied after the UEC
> Cup.
>
> Nihon Ki-in: http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/index-e.htm
> UEC: http://www.uec.ac.jp/eng/

  That is mighty awesome, thank you so much for sharing this news!
Participation in UEC Cup seems suddenly to be something to consider
much more seriously!

  If I read Google Translate output right, there is also prize 100,000
and 200,000 yen for the matches; is this something the winner of the
Densei match receives, or is placement in the UEC Cup enough (i.e. just
qualifying for the Densei match)? This could at least cover any travel
expenses, and seems to be after long time first open computer Go match
with significant financial reward.

  P.S.: In UEC cup, do you bring the whole cluster in the playing room,
or does Zen run only on a single computer? :-)

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis