[Computer-go] Nice and Hyperthreading

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Tue May 29 06:21:43 PDT 2012

  Hi!

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:39:11AM +0200, ds wrote:
> Now with Hyperthreading even niced processes harm the performance a lot.
> I understand, that this is a conceptional problem, as the operating
> system does not know that using virtual core 0 harms virtual core 4, but
> this knowledge does not help me:(

  On Linux, you should be able to use the numactl tool to execute a
given command while binding it to given CPUs. E.g.

	numactl --physcpubind 0,4,1,5,2,6 -- java -jar kgsGtp.jar

should start a KGS interface bound to three of four cores; for CLOP,
use --physcpubind 3,7 and CLOP should not interfere with KGS then.

  To find out whether two "physical CPUs" (in NUMA parlance) are of
the same core, you can use the 'core id' field of /proc/cpuinfo or use

	http://mj.ucw.cz/vyuka/1112/aim/machinfo.tar.gz

to get a nicely formatted listing.

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis