[Computer-go] oakfoam/Zen9 game

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 05:23:42 PST 2012

In my report http://www.weddslist.com/kgs/past/80/index.html on the last
KGS bot tournament, I wrote

In round 13, Zen9 (as Black) and then oakfoam passed ... . Zen has won:
the 14-stone white group ... is dead ... . However they disagreed about
the status of the 14-stone group, and the game entered the clean-up
phase. Oakfoam again passed, and the game was immediately declared over,
with all the stones on the board counted as alive. The game was
therefore counted as a win for oakfoam.
     It seems to me that Black was never given a chance to show that it
could capture the dead group. I shall check, and if my understanding is
correct, I shall report this to KGS programmer 'wms' as a defect in the
clean-up mechanism.

I would be grateful if someone could check my interpretation of what
happened.  Is this just an example of one of the bots handling the
clean-up wrong?  Or is it the server itself that got it wrong?  If it's
the server, I must report it to wms.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd