[Computer-go] java code for Zobrist hashing

Ray Tayek rtayek at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 9 16:27:14 PST 2012

At 02:28 PM 2/9/2012, you wrote:
>Zobrist hashing is very simple - ... not the sort of thing you'd
>normally bother publishing

i was thinking of putting this into my go program (which just plays by hand).

>I guess (although a quick google found this:
>http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/doobs.html). To use it in a game,
>the only other thing you need is a method of mapping from the board
>to the array. If you make the array 19x19x3 then mapping to a Go
>board is trivial (final dimension indicates black/white/liberty).

ok

>I noticed you say "recent" - have there been improvements to the
>original idea?

i have no idea.

i assume that this is what everybody uses in their programs, but i
really don't know.

i am toying with the idea of writing yet another go playing program
and i thought that putting some kind of hashes in to check for
illegal moves would be a place to start.

>I hope this is at least vaguely useful :-)

yes it is.

thanks