[Computer-go] Zen resignation positions

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Dec 10 16:07:39 PST 2012

> How much [effort] to determine whether there are multiple peaks?

The Shapiro-Wilk test can give you a probability of how non-normal the
distribution is:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro%E2%80%93Wilk_test

As an R example, here is some test data:
  set.seed(7);
  data <- c(rnorm(2000,0,40),rnorm(2500, 0, 20), rnorm(400, 40, 5));
  hist(data,breaks=200)

and running shapiro.test(data) gives me:
  W = 0.9939, p-value = 1.184e-13

The lower the p-value the more it thinks it is not a normal curve. The
extreme result is interesting, as the graph looks "roughly normal" to me.

(The Wikipedia page lists alternative tests, which can be found in the R
nortest package apparently. I've no idea of CPU effort required for each
of them.)

> Now the tough question: How can this information be used to improve move selection?

One approach, not at all sophisticated, is better time management: spend
less time on normal distributions, more time when the distribution is
messy.  (But I wonder if more time will just make the two peaks stand
out more?)

Darren