[Computer-go] 50k-100k patterns

Michael Alford malf at aracnet.com
Sat Aug 11 10:27:17 PDT 2012

On 8/11/12 9:36 AM, Don Dailey wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Michael Alford <malf at aracnet.com
> <mailto:malf at aracnet.com>> wrote:
>
>     This has been a most interesting discussion, thanks to all that
>     participated. As far as tricks, hard and deliberate practice, or
>     focus goes, I would like to share an observation from Guo Juan: The
>     only difference between an IGS 3k and a 3d is the 3d knows more
>     tricks. To get beyond 3d you have to learn something about the game.
>

> I don't know enough about go to comment on that,  but as I said early
> "tricks" was an unfortunate choice of terminology and it's my wish we
> dont' get hung up on semantics.      What I should have said which is
> far more accurate is "insights" -  a single insight can be worth a lot.
>    So maybe strong players beyond 3d they have no additional insights?
> That does not seems likely.
>
> I know that strong chess players just know stuff that I don't know and
> they know INSTANTLY - and it's a major shortcut that I do not posses.
> You could call it a "trick" but that cheapens it.    It's an insight
> they learned long ago and is not a part of them.
>
> Don

Yes, agree about semantics. In Guo Juan's case, the "tricks" are things
like tesuji play and joseki knowledge. As for major shortcut, I have
another anecdote for your "INSTANTLY" concerning Takemiya:
At the US Congress in 2008, the Masters title game between Feng Yun and
Yilun Yang was taking place on the first floor and being broadcast on a
movie screen upstairs in the main playing room. Takemiya was on stage
giving commentary on the game. During a long pause in play, someone in
the audience shouted "Sensei, why doesn't W play double hane in the
corner?" Takemiya said you couldn't play the double hane because of the
ladder. A couple hundred people in the audience were like "Ladder? What
ladder?" And Takemiya showed a sequence beginning with the double hane
in the corner that moved from the corner to the side hoshi and ended up
with a ladder. That was pretty impressive for the entire audience, but
then someone shouted "Sensei, how long did it take you to read that?"
Takemiya did kind of a double take and said "I didn't read that, I just
saw it." Which elicited an audible response from the audience. Takemiya
went on to explain that it isn't just him, all pros are like this. Pros
are so good at proper play it's like a reflex with them, they don't have
to read things like that ladder sequence, they simply see it.

That's a major shortcut I certainly don't possess :)

Michael

-------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot