[Computer-go] 50k-100k patterns

Mark Boon tesujisoftware at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:02:43 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look at actors and actresses they are able to master accents.
> Often some actor will play some role and you will believe they are native
> speaking U.S. Citizens.   But then you see them interviewed only to find out
> they have a heavy foreign accent.

Yes, but that is staged. It's just a few lines they get to practice
many times. And even then you don't know how many takes it took to get
the desired result.

All these references to 10,000 of practice. I agree you can get a
pretty good level if you spend that much time. But young kids get
there so much faster. When we moved to the US my kids were speaking
English at school within 3 months and were fluent in a year. The
teachers couldn't even tell we only speak Portuguese and Dutch at
home. The effort you need to perform on a similar level at a later age
detracts compared to someone who learnt it a young age and can spend
this effort in other ways. If that effort is spent towards the same
skill (be it programming or playing a game) you simply can't compete
when having learnt it at a later age. If it was just putting in time,
someone 20 years old should be able to get close to 9-dan by age 30.
But this has never happened. And I don't know of a single person who
started at age 30 or later who reached amateur 5-dan. It's even very
rare for someone starting at 20 to reach 5 dan.

Mark