[Computer-go] Kaś Cup - results and prizes

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Aug 9 02:14:57 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:08:47PM +0200, ds wrote:
> Hyperthreading does the trick, I have the experience it increases the
> performance by about 10%. I think this is due to waiting for RAM I/O or
> things like that....

Yes. With hyperthreading, performance per thread goes down
significantly, but total performance goes up by about 15%. In the
Pentium 4 era, hyperthreading did not usually pay off, but with i7,
its performance is much better. The basic idea is that there are two
instruction pipelines that share the same ALU and other processor units;
if one of the pipelines stalls (usually due to memory fetch), the other
can use the ALU in the meantime, or the two threads may use different
parts of the CPU altogether based on what the instructions do.

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis