[Computer-go] Rules for the Computer Olympiad

Hideki Kato hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp
Sat Sep 17 14:42:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

Erik van der Werf: <CAKkgGrP5e-zmRUJVH_7q+3jHmtXJfViwR3S81OF04P6r9ZHZHA at mail.gmail.com>:
>Hi Martin,
>
>Good question, I don't know. If Hideki doesn't know either (he
>compiled the last version based on my original) then it probably means
>this has not been decided yet. I suppose the default would be to use
>last year's rules.

I know nothing about the rules for Tilburg.

>There is usually a players meeting just before the tournament starts,
>to formalize the details, but for significant changes that would at
>least for some be too late.
>
>Perhaps we should try to see if there is consensus about what we would
>like this year?
>
>My proposal would be to change the komi for 9x9 Go to 7.0, and leave
>the rest as it was last year. (So that would mean 19x19: 45m., 7.5
>komi,  13x13: 30m., 7.5 komi,  9x9: 10m., 7.0 komi, remote play
>allowed.)
>
>What are your preferences?

I prefer 7.0 komi for 9x9 board as well.  I used 7.5 komi last year
because some participants had not enough time to prepare their opening
books.  Since KGS bot tournaments have used integer komi for 9x9
already, there are no problems now, I believe.

BTW, does anyone know about 13x13 Go tournament for Tilberg?   Not in
the game-list in the official site.

Hideki

Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>