[Computer-go] Rules for the Computer Olympiad -- Remote Play

Richard J. Lorentz lorentz at csun.edu
Sat Sep 17 07:27:16 PDT 2011

Very often the rules at the Olympiads tend to be uniform across all the
games. This, of course, need not be the case but should that happen
again this year I would like to speak against remote play. For the
"smaller" games that I participate in, part of the fun and the challenge
is seeing how my program on my little laptop fares against your program
on your laptop. Especially now that MCTS is being used in so many
programs, multiple and faster CPU's with bunches of memory really do
give a significant advantage, and an unfair one to the many of us who do
not have access to those kinds of resources.

I would like to suggest that either we make it clear that go has its own
set of rules (in which case this discussion needs to find an appropriate
home) or we no longer allow remote play.

-Richard