[Computer-go] some UCT notes

Dave Dyer ddyer at real-me.net
Mon Oct 24 13:45:31 PDT 2011

I've been working with UCT search for other games than Go, and one interesting thing I"ve learned is that the results can change dramatically depending on how the UCT values are manipulated as the tree grows.

Consider the root node; at the beginning of the search it's desirable to sample all the children equally, to be sure each has a fair chance to be noted as winning or losing.  However, as the simulations continue, if this egalitarian distribution continues, the simulations from losing nodes dilutes the results (as well as wasting time), so it's necessary to start concentrating on the winning nodes.  The exact method of transitioning from broad to narrow focus can have dramatic effect on the results.