[Computer-go] CPU performance breakdown for Pachi

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Nov 16 09:31:24 PST 2011

  Hi!

  This is the current performance breakdown for Pachi wrt. the current
new CPUs (with completely default settings, empty 19x19 board):

  CPU		1 thread	full-threaded

  i7-920 w/ HT	1750p/s		9400p/s (8 threads)
  Phenom 1090T	1850p/s		9400p/s (6 threads)

  i7-2600	2350p/s		12050p/s (8 threads)
  AMD FX-8150	2000p/s		11600p/s (8 threads)

  None of the CPU are overclocked, they come with mostly default
settings. But please note that this benchmark is not 100% authoritative
since the same binary built with gcc-4.4 is used on all of these CPUs.
I will report again once I am able to report performance with
gcc-4.6-built binaries optimized for i7 or Bulldozer, but that may
take a short while. My personal expectation is that Bulldozer should
outperform i7-2600 in full-threaded MCTS then, but I'm of course not
sure.

  Hope this is useful for people deciding what new MCTS hardware
to buy.  :)

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
	I used to have no use for fast CPUs before I started poking