[Computer-go] New version of CLOP

Brian Sheppard sheppardco at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 05:07:27 PST 2011

I have also seen runs where many localization iterations are necessary, but
I did not connect that to overfitting.

I do see Clop runs that "wander" for an excessive number of trials. That has
troubled me, because I would like to use Clop for high dimensional tuning,
but I cannot afford to run 1e7 trials.

Apart from hardware availability, there are two objections to really long
runs:

	- I am sure to change my program before it finishes the run.
	- It might be worse than doing 1e3 runs of 1e4 trials each, using
smaller parameter families.

A lot depends on the correlations between parameters. For example, if
parameters are independent then the potential benefit of tuning all
concurrently is minimized. If the parameters are intricately related, then
there could be great benefit in concurrent tuning, since tuning one
parameter at a time might not see the big picture.

I am curious: can Clop exploit a covariance matrix to "factor" the samples
into minimally interdependent sets? For example, in the case of fully
independent parameters, then Clop could choose x0 by ignoring all
coordinates but x0 in its sample.

The challenge is to create a scalable form of dimensionality reduction.

Brian