[Computer-go] Bugs

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 11:56:45 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Richard J. Lorentz <lorentz at csun.edu>
To: Computer-go at dvandva.org
Sent: Wed, May 25, 2011 12:54:17 PM
Subject: [Computer-go] Bugs

> After finding (yet another!) bug in my Havannah program I find myself worrying
>about something that I suspect most of you
>
> have also pondered: How many good ideas have I discarded not because the idea
>was bad but because the implementation was?

Many! In any complex program, especially in cases which are not well understood
( as in the field of programming to play Go ), you may reasonably expect any
addition to introduce bugs, and must have strategies to detect and stomp out
such bugs as quickly and reliably as possible.

I'm a big fan of regression testing and targeted tests which attempt to expose
likely bugs.

When I see a game like the recent ManyFaces vs Zen match, where an obvious
mistake happened, I rejoice; this is a great test case for an interesting set of
bugs.