[Computer-go] Direct DX11 and graphics cards for cheaper simulation hardware?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed May 25 08:03:16 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 05:11:58PM +0900, Hideki Kato wrote:
> Just simply avoid synchronization.  Tree-part updates the info in the
> search tree as soon as a result arrives, start descending tree, and send
> the leaf position to be simulated.
> # I used broadcasting (udp/ip) but point-to-point is also possible.
>
> For detail, see
> <http://www.geocities.jp/hideki_katoh/publications/gpw08-private.pdf>.

This is where I'm not clear if this is possible to do with current GPUs
at all. I *think* you cannot do it this way, at least with anything but
Fermi which should support independent execution of multiple kernels
AIUI.

But still, if each thread is separate simulation, you have only
multiprocessor granularity and still have to treat simulations within
single multiprocessor all in a single block; depending on the number
of memory stalls, this may need to be much more than a single warp
(32 threads), but that's the effective minimum.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis