[Computer-go] Best low-cost hardware for MCTS go

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat May 21 14:39:15 PDT 2011

  Hi!

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:38:07PM +0100, Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:
> AMD:
>
> 4. Phenom II 1075T x6 3.0 GHz 158 Euro (the 1100T 3.3 GHz)
> only 177 Euro. Also the mobo is cheaper for those (~80 Euro)
>
> * Does anyone have experience with this?
> * Can this 6 core be compared with with a 488 Euro i7 6 core?
> * Does it support hyperthreading?
> * Can anyone test an MCTS program like pachi or fuego on both
> AMD and Intel and report the number of Ksims/sec/GHz?

I wrote about my experiences with testing of Pachi on computers at our
university department just a few months ago. Our top-performance
stations are i7 920 with hyperthreading (i.e. 8-threaded; one year old),
and Phenom 1090T machines (6-threaded; bought this Christmas).
We currently do not overclock either, and my experience is that total
performance sum over all threads is the same for i7 920 and AMD 1090T.
You could milk quite a bit more from current i7, but Phenoms are
cheaper (and you rightfully notice also the much cheaper MoBos).

> 5. Dual chip:
>
> Do low-cost dual-processor AMD mobos exist?
>
> Anyone knows how to build a low-cost 24 thread machine
> with AMD?

It depends on what you mean by "low-cost". We also have a server with
two 8-thread Opterons 6134, the per-thread speed is just a bit faster
than hyperthreaded i7 920 per-thread speed. (I.e. it is roughly like two
i7-920 with shared memory.)  It was not too expensive, but server-grade
Opterons and Xeons are ridiculously overpriced.

My personal opinion is that unless shared memory is total must (e.g. for
as powerful as possible single instance of program running), you are
quite better off with building small cluster of uniprocessor machines.
And there, when optimizing solely for smallest purchase price, I think
cluster of Phenoms is most cost-effective. Of course, this does not
factor in capacity of server room, heat production, power consumption
etc.

So the important factor is if you are interested just in performance
tuning with many single-threaded instances, or want to also run a beefy
program doing all simulations on a shared tree.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis