[Computer-go] OT: build vs. built

Ben Shoemaker planetb at rocketmail.com
Tue May 10 10:26:46 PDT 2011

If Peter (the original author) intended to type the word "built" then that should be considered the correct version.

I wish to point out, however, that the noun "build" is used for hardware as well as software.  It means the manifestation of a particular configuration of components.  I have always heard it with an adjective (e.g. "My latest AMD build").

It probably stems from definition 10 of "build" here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/build

build - noun 10. the manner or form of construction: The house was of modern build.

In the case of Peter's sentence, if "cluster" is a noun then the verb "built" should be used, but if "cluster" is an adjective then it should be the noun "built".  Either combination is potentially grammatically correct.

Ben.