[Computer-go] 19x19 opening books

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:08:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Aja <ajahuang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think most strong programs has been unbeatable on 7x7 for a long  time.
>> Any evidence on the contrary?
>
>  My deduction is like this. 7x7 Go is still waiting for someone (maybe Erik?
> :) to solve. Before being solved, a Go program can't be unbeatable on 7x7
> with proper komi. The pros all lost might simply because they never
> researched into it.

Its certainly possible to be unbeatable without having a proof of the
solution. You just have to select a non-losing move in every relevant
position. There might even exist a relatively simple function that
does this; however, actually proving that this is what it does may be
very hard. Of course, losing from a lost starting position (wrong
komi) shouldn't count...

BTW There has been significant work on 7x7, also by professionals, so
it would be nice to know if the pros that played at this recent event
had bothered to study those results.

Erik