[Computer-go] 19x19 opening books

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 06:56:45 PDT 2011

Hi Henrik,

I sometimes use a book that is automatically constructed from a large
collection of games. It just contains frequently played lines with
symmetries removed, nothing fancy. IIRC it does not make the program
significantly stronger, but not weaker either and it saves some time
in the opening. I also have code for automatically generating an
opening book, but I never tried that for 19x19 (and for 9x9 I'm not
too happy about it either because, to make it really strong, it still
requires some final human inspection, which I don't have the time
for).

Without a book Steenvreter usually still plays decent opening moves
because it is pretty good at predicting pro moves (predictions are
used to set priors in the tree). However, with longer thinking times
there is sometimes a tendency for its style to become more cosmic (not
sure if that is good or bad).

Best,
Erik