[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:24:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM, "Ingo Althöfer" <3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de> wrote:
> "Aja" <ajahuang at gmail.com>
>> ManyFaces (White) still wins even if it loses the semeai but captures
>> the J4 group of 3 stones. And it's not possible for Black to save the
>> J4 group and win the semeai at the same time.
>
> Yes, that is exactly what the experts in the forum found.
>
> The question: Do the other bots see this as well,
> and how early in the game do they see this outcome?

Sure, its easy for strong bots :-)

There are several ways to win in this position; no need to win the
semeai. Even the J4 block can be traded for something like 2 points
elsewhere (e.g., g4 & a6).

To win Black should have played 31 at 34. I think Nick's suggestion
(between 32 and 35) is bad because the White group in the upper right
corner is already dead.

Erik