[Computer-go] I need an off-the-shelf final position live/dead evaluator

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 13:30:21 PST 2011

In message <C6C291C2-400B-448D-BA7A-9894D5D916D9 at free.fr>, Rémi Coulom
<Remi.Coulom at free.fr> writes
>On 20 févr. 2011, at 22:00, Hideki Kato wrote:
>
>> Erik van der Werf:
>><AANLkTikJ9-KWT4vp9UojXS8vDeJQDZw82P83TspBUaD3 at mail.gmail.com>:
>>> AFAICS this (japanese-test-7.sgf) is simply not a final position. If
>>> white plays first at least there's a ko and he will probably capture a
>>> lot of black stones. Moreover, I think officially the group would be
>>> in seki if the dame are not filled (so then none of the intersections
>>> around S6 are territory).
>>
>> Yes, the game is not finished.  White can capture T18 with a ko fight
>> in this position.  Current Japanese rules force the players fill all
>> dame's before finishing a game.
>
>Oh, I did not know that. That would simplify my job a lot.
>
>It seems a lot of people still don't fill dame, though. I looked at
>some recent games on gobase, and even pros don't do it apparently:
>http://gobase.org/replay/?gam=/games/japan/titles/honinbo/65/game-02.sgf
>&off=null
>KGS players usually don't do it either.

Indeed.  The Japanese rules require the players to fill all dame points.
They also state that if a dame point remains at the end of the game,
territory enclosed by the groups bordering that point are also dame, not
territory.  Many players are unaware of this, and leave unfilled dame
points at the end of the game.

Nick