[Computer-go] I need an off-the-shelf final position live/dead evaluator

Rémi Coulom Remi.Coulom at free.fr
Sun Feb 20 13:22:11 PST 2011

On 20 févr. 2011, at 22:00, Hideki Kato wrote:

> Erik van der Werf: <AANLkTikJ9-KWT4vp9UojXS8vDeJQDZw82P83TspBUaD3 at mail.gmail.com>:
>> AFAICS this (japanese-test-7.sgf) is simply not a final position. If
>> white plays first at least there's a ko and he will probably capture a
>> lot of black stones. Moreover, I think officially the group would be
>> in seki if the dame are not filled (so then none of the intersections
>> around S6 are territory).
>
> Yes, the game is not finished.  White can capture T18 with a ko fight
> in this position.  Current Japanese rules force the players fill all
> dame's before finishing a game.

Oh, I did not know that. That would simplify my job a lot.

It seems a lot of people still don't fill dame, though. I looked at some recent games on gobase, and even pros don't do it apparently:
http://gobase.org/replay/?gam=/games/japan/titles/honinbo/65/game-02.sgf&off=null
KGS players usually don't do it either.

> And, as a terinology, we never call S6 dame.  A dame must be in a
> boundary of the territories (ie, never in a terrotory).  Just Black
> has to play S6 (or around) before the game ends, in this case.
>
> Hideki

The pro games in Dave's database don't have this property at all !

Rémi