[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Wed Feb 9 22:15:21 PST 2011

> My report is at http://www.weddslist.com/kgs/past/68/index.html

Hi Nick,
You wrote: "At the end of round 2 I telephoned Petr Baudiš, and told him
what was happening. He realised that his bots were not set to tournament
mode, so they were joining non-tournament games whenever a tournament
game was not available.
...I ought not to have done this. As tournament director, I ought to be
impartial, and not give help to any of the participants..."

I don't think this was helping the player, in the sense of telling them
where to play stones. It was more like help in the sense of telling a
player which room they are in, or which board they are playing at, which
seems fine for a tournament director to do.

I think you are concerned about not being able to do this consistently
(not knowing other phone numbers, not speaking common languages), but
still it seems reasonable to be helpful like this on a "best effort, no
guarantees" basis.

Just thought I'd bring this up here, to give others a chance to disagree
and say if Nick needs to be more hands-off for his tournaments.

Darren