[Computer-go] on MixBot CrazyStone + Zen

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Fri Apr 29 19:00:41 PDT 2011

Hello,

> I would be more interested to see three strong programs voting for
> moves and no human intervention.  Perhaps add Patchi to the mix.

I did some work on "simple" voting systems in computer chess around
1990. The main result was: majority voting gives a SMALL improvement
over the (equally strong) bots - indeed, much smaller than 200 rating
points (the improvement was more in the range of 30-50 points).
One problem in such systems is the synchronization of timing: you lose
playing strength, when you brutally stop all three bots in a predefined
moment.

Much later (around 2004-2007), Helmut Weigel made very succesful
experiments with three chess bots who together generated a small
selective tree before deciding on a move. He called it Gecko.
Gecko's crisis came when Rybka - being clearly stronger than all
other bots in those days - entered the scene. Helmut did not find a
good way to combine one very strong and two normally strong bots.

Ingo.

PS. Majority voting (with 3 bots) in 19x19 go might be problematic
as you will have many situations with three different proposals. So,
you would need clever tie-breaking.