[Computer-go] MC Beginner question

valkyria at phmp.se valkyria at phmp.se
Fri Apr 29 04:25:51 PDT 2011

Yes, we even call it dynamic komi as you just proposed. Many programs
implement it and there have been many discussion about it. It seems to
be very effective in high handicap games and in even games it may have
a small effect for some programs.

There are different implementations: the simplest starts with lets say
7 point extra komi for each handicap stone and this value is then
linearly decreased until 200 moves have been played or so.

More complex versions of dynamic komi adjust the komi during search so
that the winrate stay to close to 50% (higher or lower depending on
how aggressive one wants the program to play). This method is more
demanding for programmer because it is not so easy to handle cases
where the score fluctuates large in search or on the actual board.

Magnus
author of Valkyria