[Computer-go] MC Beginner question

Oliver Lewis ojflewis at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 03:21:08 PDT 2011

This has been the subject of many discussions and debates on this list.
Essentially, the evidence shows that although win/loss "loses" information,
it is the most correct evaluation that captures what the go player should
try to achieve.  If you take into account the size of the win, you are
somehow saying that bigger wins are better than small wins.  However you
weight the scores, you risk the programme favouring some of the aggressive
lines of attack which may also be riskier, rather than playing safe for a
half-point win.