[Computer-go] on MixBot CrazyStone + Zen

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 13:31:27 PDT 2011

Hello,

now I found time to read several sgf protocols
of KGS games played by BonoBot.

Here is part of the chat from a game between
BonoBot and Zen, which I find very interesting.

PW[Zen19B]PB[bonobot]  DT[2011-04-23]
************ Chat on *****************
ajahuang]: they are strong at different aspects
[ajahuang]: Zen features more fighting and semeai
[ajahuang]: Bonobot is better at direction

[ThePok]: so they have to merge

[ARPAnet]: What do you think, aja? How strong would
be a mixed "program" where Zen and bonobot suggest
a move in a current game situation but a human (for
example you) decides which one of those moves should
be played?

[ajahuang]: it depends on fast or slow game

[ARPAnet]: well, how about the current time setting

[ajahuang]: 5d up, sure
[ThePok]: than theres not much time to choose
[ajahuang]: if not 5d, at least 4d
[ARPAnet]: hmm, ok thanks
[BOThater36]: so dont trust Aja can pick the best move :-)
[ajahuang]: everything could happen in fast games...anyway :)
************ Chat off ****************

>From my chess experiences I would say that Aja is rather
pessimistic. Between 1985 and 1997 I made several 3-Hirn
experiments where I was the human having the final choice
between candidate moves by two different chess bots.
My rating was around 1900, and through a wide range of
bot ratings (between 1500 and 2500) I was able to add
200 ratings points to the strengths of the bots  (in these
experiments the bots had very similar strengths - only my
human strength differed a lot).

If this would translate to "server go", 5d-Zen and 5d-BonoBot
would be lifted to something like 7d by the final choices
of Aja Huang[6d].

I am really eager to see, if this holds in reality.

Ingo.