[Computer-go] New Crazystone - when again?

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Mon Apr 25 05:00:33 PDT 2011

Hello Petr,

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:57:16PM +0200, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> > PS. To which University will the Ph.D. thesis of Aja Huang be submitted?

> I'm also planning to start PhD research in Computer Go soon; I'm
> currently not willing to relocate

> and I was discouraged from taking a non-local supervisor,

Why, and by whom?

> so I picked a supervisor who is not directly
> involved with Computer Go (though he will certainly be a great source
> of inspiration anyway :-).

As in last year, you are invited to come to the annual workshop of
my research group in Jena(Germany). I have some doctoral students
in Jena (Thomas Fischer just successfully finished his procedure -
defending his thesis on April 6, 2011). I have also a few external
doctoral students:
* Stefan Meyer-Kahlen (in computer chess; since 1995)
* Eiko Bleicher (in computer chess, too; since 2002; he will likely
  complete his thesis soon)
* Peter Stahlhacke (since 2002; engaged in the game Muehle (=nine men's
  morris) and the extension Lasker-Muehle)

These three (and one more - specializing in another subfield of
discrete optimization) have email contact with me from time to time.
And they come to the annual workshop presenting their new results
and exchanging ideas.

In 2011, the workshop will take place on July 27 and 28 (from noon to
noon). Feel free to contact me, when you want to participate. However,
only people with own talk are welcome.

Petr, and when you have a "good" M.Sc. (meaning: grade well above
average) or an equivalent degree, you might also become external doctoral
student in my group.

Cheers, Ingo.

Two links:
Website on the 2008 workshop, where amongst others also C. Donninger
and chess GM KArsten Mueller participated.
http://www.althofer.de/workshop-2008.html

Website on the doctoral project of Thomas Fischer, including his
doctoral thesis for download (thesis in German langugage)
http://www.althofer.de/3-hirn-grant--fischer.html