[Computer-go] Pachi Authors

Jean-loup Gailly jloup at gailly.net
Mon Apr 18 08:49:11 PDT 2011

> One more question on the recent Pachi wins against pro players
> in handicap games: Did you use dynamic komi; and if so, in which way?

pachi supports several dynamic komi options, including a rather
sophisticated
"adaptive" method. But in distributed mode I found that the linear method
works best. Black gives itself initially a disadvantage of 7 points per
handicap
stone (so 49 points in the h7 game) and this disadvantage drops linearly to
0
after 200 moves. This way all machines in distributed mode compute
the same dynamic komi.

The actual value of one handicap stone is twice the normal komi so about
15 points(*), but I tried this and it makes pachi play too agressively. 7
points
per stone is a compromise which seems to work well.

Jean-loup

(*) http://www.mail-archive.com/computer-go@dvandva.org/msg00096.html