[Computer-go] Pachi Authors

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Mon Apr 18 07:38:17 PDT 2011

Hi Petr,

thx for your informative mail.

Von: Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 01:13:52PM +0200, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> > Of course, you are the pachi programmer from the beginning on.
> > But what is now the role of Jean-loup Gailly?
> > Has he become a second author with equal rights in the meantime?
>
> I'm not sure what do you mean by "equal rights". :-)

There was no pun intended. But
for instance, when you enter Pachi in the next ICGA Computer
Olympiad, will both your names be given as authors names?

Of course, I know several other cases (for instance from computer chess)
where several authors were given, although not all of them had the
same amount of contributions.

> I kind of still
> reserve the last word about any change going in (and therefore I'm
> responsible for all the bugs) and I take care of the core functions
> and heuristics (if Pachi engages in its popular pastime and plays out
> a broken ladder, that's my fault).
>
> Thanks to Jean-loup, Pachi is one of the best-scaling programs as he's
> done all the work on distributed computation and changes elsewhere in
> Pachi related to that (better memory allocator, support for larger
> floating point types...). We co-authored time management (also quite
> a non-trivial piece of Pachi) about 1:1.

Thanks to both for you for your good work, and for your contributions
to progress in computer go.

One more question on the recent Pachi wins against pro players
in handicap games: Did you use dynamic komi; and if so, in which way?

Cheers, Ingo.