[Computer-go] Random move selection algorithm

Yuanxin Xi xi11west at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:05:32 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I've been reading posts on this list and this is my first post.  I'm
looking for an algorithm related to move generation. Suppose there're
N possible moves with probability p_1,p_2...p_n (sum(pi)=1), I
generate a random number R between 0 and 1 to choose one move w.r.t
the probabilities.  How to find the move efficiently, instead of
enumerating p_1, p_2 until the accumulating p is greater than R?

I remember this has been discussed before but I cannot find it.  Can
someone please remind me the name or keyword I can search?
Thank you.

Best regards,

Yuanxin Xi