[Computer-go] living by two false eyes

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Apr 7 03:09:15 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:11:05AM -0400, fastgo wrote:
> In StoneGrid, it has built in the Benson algorithm in the playout. It does
> not seem to help much on overall strength. But I think it should solve the
> case here.
>
> I think you can implement the Benson Algorithm in the late stage of the
> playout.
>
> It has another advantage finishing the playout in shorter length. In
> StoneGrid, the playout on average finishes in a little bit more than 70
> stones on 9x9.
>
> You need quite a lot of effort to get it fast as well as correct. So the
> return of the effort is low.

Do you also use this on 19x19?

One of my long-standing worries is that especially on 19x19, the playout
takes awfully long and the second half of the moves are almost all
totally meaningless, but with all the expensive heuristics etc. still
being computed. It seems to me that a lot of time is wasted this way
and that Benson life detector would help even much more here, so I'm
surprised you do not see it as that much of an improvement.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis