[Computer-go] living by two false eyes

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Apr 4 19:12:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:13:52PM -1000, Mark Boon wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:
> > Pachi has the same rules, and fails miserably in these cases, since the
> > chance that the false eye owner will fill it before *all* outer
> > liberties are filled is quite high. It did not occur to me yet how to
> > fix this without incurring a large performance penalty.
>
> How about trying not to fill in a false eye unless one of the
> surrounding chains has less than 3 liberties? I'm sure it's not
> perfect, but may be a fairly good rule anyway.

This goes against another deep worry, major misevaluations in semeais;
they usually do involve plenty of false eyes and this will lead to even
more distorted biases. Semeais occur far more frequently than living by
false eyes (though Jean-Loup has found a couple of real examples when
digging through automated playtesting game records).

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis