[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 13:59:08 PDT 2011

In message <4d99b50e.2129%hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>, Hideki Kato
<hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp> writes
>Thank you Nick for such an exciting and interesting tournament.

Thank you for pointing out my errors.

>In the second line,
>>Sunday April 23rd, 2011
>              ^^^^3rd

Fixed.

>5th and 6th lines,
>>format 10-round Swiss
>        ^^30
>>board size 13x13
>            ^^^^^9x9

Both fixed.

>Middle of the page,
>>After round 7, EricaBot was in the lead, being the only player with
>>six wins.
>Above is a contradiction because EricaBot already lost (at least) two
>games, one in the first round and the other in round 6.  I believe
>it's Zen9.

I have checked, and found that it was Fuego128t that lost that game on
time, not EricaBot.  I have corrected that.  EricaBot was indeed on six
wins from 7 games.

>About round9:
>>In round 9, stv played move 35 as shown in the diagram to the left,
>>against Fuego128t. I believe that the upper left white group is now
>>dead, as "bent four in the corner".
>"Bent four in the corner" is a Japanese rule and cannot be applied
>with Chinese rules, in which L&D problems should be solved by playing
>and this case is a Ko.  I have no idea why
>>Both players played as if they understood this.

It is dead as a result of competent play - Black should remove all ko
threats (which is not always possible, but is possible in this game)
before starting the ko.

>BTW, could you make the cross table a bit narrower so that it fits in
>my 1024x768 LCD monitor, which shows from the leftmost to the middle
>of the "Notes" column?  Without the darker area surrounding the table,
>I can see almost all of the table with no horizontal scrolling.

There are many different screen resolutions, and I cannot plan for them
all, so I selfishly plan for my own screen.

Are you using Windows?  If you are, you can type control-minus to make
your browser render everything smaller.

Best wishes,
Nick

Nick Wedd    nick at maproom.co.uk