[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Jean-loup Gailly jloup at gailly.net
Mon Apr 4 12:18:22 PDT 2011

Nick writes:

> After three rounds, there were three players with three wins each,
> Zen9, valkyria, and Fuego128t. Pachi2's operator realised that it had
> the wrong opening book loaded, it had been failing to start in the
> centre when Black. He restarted it with the correct book.

Actually I disabled the book completely. But unfortunately pachi
continued to systematically start with E6 as black and quickly
got into unfavorable positions. (I speculate that E5 is better.)

Magnus writes:

> Further, I would imagine many jigos could be quite peaceful short games

What makes you think that optimal play should be peaceful? I speculate
that it should often be very complex, full of kos and tenukis, and
very difficult to understand for humans ("I play here because it gains
1 point 20 moves later"). Some games might be peaceful, but a perfect
player can select arbitrarily complex sequences as long as they still
achieve the perfect result. There are a lot more complex games than
peaceful games.

Jean-loup