[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

valkyria at phmp.se valkyria at phmp.se
Mon Apr 4 09:10:07 PDT 2011

Valkyria was even more extreme losing 8 times as black and only 2
times as white.

I think it has to do with how the opening book is made for komi 7.5
where white clearly is favored.

In order to not get killed by good books (such as Fuego) black as the
underdog needs to play surprising moves that leads to a long good
fight where hopefully the other programs has more bugs and biases than
the own program. It could be that i have overdone this for Valkyria.
That is it does play not strong enough moves early in the games.

For white it is enough to find one good strong answer to every
position that are likely to appear, so it is much easier to prepare.
The choice to use several moves for black is very hard to do.

Also building a book for 7.5 means that "7.0 jigo lines" are losses,
so one cannot expect to find many such lines in such a book. Further,
I would imagine many jigos could be quite peaceful short games, and
such lines are not possible to have in a book with komi 7.5 because
they would be crushed by white.

My guess is simply that the tournament was played with books that
leads to fights where jigo is unlikely to happen. And in order to make
7.0 komi really matter a lot of work for the books needs to be done.

Magnus