[Computer-go] Where are the Jigo(lo)s?

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 02:27:52 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Aja <ajahuang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Maybe it is because the programs are not so close in playing strength.
>> Anyway, it is the first KGS tournament of komi 7.0 so maybe most of the
>> participants didn't prepare well. As far as I know, ManyFaces even didn't
>> handle Jigo specially.
>
>   Also, Steenvreter played many games using a BAD book (built for 7.5 if I
> remember correctly) and finally Erik removed the book completely.

Actually I changed book twice. The first one was built for 7.0 but
after 10 or so games it was clear that some lines were too bad against
strong opponents. I think the reason was a combination if it being
auto-generated (no human inspection) and not being deep enough (it had
only run for two days). Then I shortly tried an old book, made for 6.5
komi, but didn't like that either so the second half of the tournament
I just ran without book.

BTW in some recent self-play test games Steenvreter got around 10 to
15% jigo's. I guess the reason why there were fewer in the tournament
is because jigo's are less likely when the programs are more different
in strength.

Best,
Erik