[Computer-go] 7.0 Komi and weird deep search result

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sun Apr 3 12:03:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 02:00:24PM -0400, Brian Sheppard wrote:
> That's all fine, but UCT with exploration term == 0 does not asymptotically
> converge in a ternary-valued space.

Does this matter in real life? AIUI, RAVE without special modifications
(like those done in Mogo later) does not have any convergence guarantees
either. I suppose Valkyria uses RAVE, so RAVE acts as its exploration
term, like in Pachi.

By the way, in Pachi I have floating point values in nodes, so I just
count jigo as value of 0.5 (as opposed to 0 or 1). I have no further
special handling (as far as I can remember) and this works nicely as it
is. What Magnus describes sounds most like some implementation artifact
to me, but maybe Pachi just handles something else differently, avoiding
this as well then.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis