[Computer-go] Monte-Carlo Simulation Balancing in Practice

David Fotland fotland at smart-games.com
Thu Sep 30 16:54:41 PDT 2010

Very interesting paper.  On 9x9, life and death is critical, since white can
usually win by living in two places.  On 19x19, wall making moves are more
important.  This might explain why the patterns trained from 9x9 are so
tactical and eye shape focused, and why they don’t work so well on 19x19.

I didn’t notice at first that the 19x19 trials were against gnugo 3.8 level
0.  Why not use level 10, as in the 9x9 testing.  Many Faces wins about 50%
vs 3.7 level 10, and I would expect the same of Erica.  Is Gnugo 3.8 so much
stronger than 3.7?

David